Maison Foncin

Domaine Foncin

Located at the western entrance to the town, Domaine Foncin is remarkable for its white bastide house perched on the top of a hill overlooking the sea.

A bit of history…

At the end of the 1880s, Pierre Foncin, a famous French professor, historian and geographer, and his wife Jeanne Marie de Pozzi travelled to the French Riviera on the “Train des Pignes” for their honeymoon. They discovered the Corniche des Maures and the little paradise known as Cavalaire In 1890, they bought a 15-hectare estate in Le Dattier and built a holiday home there in 1894: Le Casteou Dou Souleu.

The “Maison blanche” soon became a daymarker for sailors and aviators and was soon included in nautical charts.

 

©Abkt.photography/Office de Tourisme

Maison Foncin

©Abkt.photography/Office de Tourisme

P1044378

Maison Foncin

01043971

01043970

@Abkt photography

Exhibition on the Foncin family and cartography

@Abkt photography
Exhibition on the Foncin family and cartography @Abkt photography

Inside the Maison Foncin

Exhibition on the Foncin family and cartography @Abkt photography

After their father’s death in 1917, his daughters Mireille and Myriam Foncin stayed at the estate from time to time. Mireille, his daughter, was one of the first members of the Regional Association for the Protection of Birds and Nature. In 1975, she took up permanent residence at the estate and in 1977, she donated her property and the 15 hectares surrounding it to the Conservatoire du Littoral to ensure its long-term protection: this was the first bequest made to the Conservatoire du Littoral.

After her death in 1996, the Conservatoire du Littoral began a serious study to find an exceptional use for this emblematic site in line with the donor’s wishes: education and nature conservation.

Domaine Foncin is now open to the public!

 

Book your visit